Friday, May 1, 2009

Mommy's Big Helper

Although we have had lots of behavior issues lately, Jayden seems to have found joy in being a helper. This week, more than ever, he has wanted to help me do everything. He wants to sit on the kitchen counter and "help me" when I'm fixing something to eat. He helps with the laundry and loves to throw trash away. We went to the grocery store on Wednesday and he walked the entire store with me instead of sitting in the cart. Usually, if I let him out of the cart in a store he bolts but this time he stayed right beside me and smiled and waved to everyone we passed. You could tell he was so proud to be walking around like a big kid! I would point to what we needed and he would get it off the shelf for me and put it in our cart (I had to help with a few things but he did most of it by himself). He has been helping me check out for the last several weeks so when we got up to the checkout lane he asked to be put into the back of the cart, as usual, and put all of the groceries on the conveyor belt for me. He even helps me push the buttons on the debit card machine! Yesterday he started helping me in a new way. I can't tell you the last time I was able to go to the bathroom alone so that's nothing new. However, yesterday Jayden started having to help me by tearing off the toilet paper himself and handing it to me. It has apparently become a very important role for him. Tonight, we went to my parents house and I thought that I was going to be able to make a potty run alone but at the last moment he ran in the bathroom saying "Mommy, wipe!" and yanked off the toilet paper to give to me.

On a separate note, I went to the doctor on Wednesday for my weekly checkup and I am still one centimeter dilated but my cervix has thinned out to about fifty percent so I am still making progress!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Such a sweet helper! That must be nice, especially as it's getting closer to Brody's arrival!

The Kimmels said...

aww. Sweet Jayden! That little boy is adorable. Brody will be here before we know it! Yay!!