Monday, August 10, 2009

And then there were four...













It is so hard to believe that we have been a family of four for three months now! Brody Clay Jones was born May 9 at 4:10 in the morning. I started having small contractions on Thursday morning and got progressively more uncomfortable as the day and night wore on. I decided to call my parents early Friday morning so that we could go on to the hospital. We got to triage about 6:00 in the morning. They checked me and I hadn't made any progress since my doctor's appointment on Wednesday (I was still at a two). So they had me walk around for an hour and then checked again. There was no change so they gave me a shot of pain medication and told me to go home and go to sleep. The doctor told me that I should be able to get a few solid hours of sleep and that if I woke up and the contractions were gone that it was just false labor. The medication took the edge off the pain but that's about it. I got about an hour of fitful sleep and then the pain started getting worse. I labored all afternoon and the pain was getting worse but my contractions were still not in a regular pattern. Finally, around 10:00 that night I couldn't take it anymore. By the time I got to the hospital the contractions were unbearable. I wanted to get in the hospital and get hooked up to my epidural as quickly as possible so I told Jason just to drop me off at the door so that I could go on in and he could go park the car. Sure enough I got a contraction before I even made it to the door of the hospital and I had to go through it all by myself with people walking all around me. Apparently, a woman crying out in pain and hanging on to a cement pillar for dear life outside the doors to the maternity ward is not as common as one would think. People were coming up to me like I should be going to the Psych ward instead! I group of guys walked by first and stopped and asked if I was okay. Very nice of them but unfortunately I was in too much pain to answer and really wanted them to just go away. About that time an older lady starts hollering at me from across the parking lot: "Honey, are you alright??". I finally got inside and walked into triage and the nurse told me to have a seat in the waiting room and that they would come and get me when a triage room opened up. I wanted to jump across the desk and shake her. Luckily, a contraction started about the time she started talking and I just laid across her desk and moaned and groaned until it was over. She decided that I didn't need to go through triage and went ahead and put me in a labor & delivery room. Brody was born a little under 5 hours after I got to the hospital. The doctor almost didn't make it into the room! I had been telling the nurse for a while that I was feeling a lot of pressure and that I felt like the baby was about to come out. She kept telling me to wait because the doctor was with another patient. When the doctor finally came in and they put my legs up in the stirrups they saw that the baby was already crowing. They helped me slide my bottom to the end of the table and his head came out! I barely pushed one time and he was out! Brody's birth was much more painful that Jayden's but it was 10 times easier.
Brody is the best baby! He is very laid back and easygoing. Jayden has also been a great big brother. He loves his baby brother and is always checking on him and giving him kisses. Life has been hectic with two kids but I am loving every minute of it!

1 comment:

Amy said...

So glad you posted! I can't wait to see some recent pictures of the boys! We miss yall!